Eighty-one percent of people want to write a book less than 2% ever will.

The top 1% leave the other 99% in the dust.

Few people ever get a Grammy nomination let alone a Grammy.


Because for most people looking to achieve a goal, there is knowledge to be gained

and lessons to be learned before success can be achieved

and too many give up before they ever reach it because they are not willing to persevere.

They’re not willing to hang in.

They’re not willing to keep doing the work when it gets hard.

They aren’t yet receiving the accolades, the money and/or the adoration they want, and they take that as a sign that they are NEVER going to make it.

But according to Malcolm Gladwell, it takes approximately 10,000 hours or approximately ten years of deliberate practice to become an expert.

It’s not easy! And the fact is that only about 4% of businesses last that long.

So, how do you become part of that 4%? Through perseverance.

How do you get it? Here are my top ten tips:

1. Know your why. What is your compelling answer for wanting to achieve your goal?

2. Be passionate about it. If you aren’t passionate about it you won’t stick with it.

3. Commit to achieving it. Commitment leads to action whether it’s writing a book, creating a course, filling up your coaching program, or whatever.

4. Visualize having achieved your goal and what that would feel like. This helps to establish belief.

5. Create a plan to achieve it. Without a plan, it’s easy to get lost in the weeds.

6. Be flexible in the path, but steadfast in the goal. Flexibility gives you options on how you are going to get there.

7. Acknowledge your accomplishments along the way. Some goals take years to achieve, that’s why it’s important to acknowledge each step accomplished along the way.

8. Surround yourself with positive people who support you and believe in you. There will setbacks and days when it is difficult to persevere, that’s when you need backup and support.

9. Take care of yourself. It’s difficult to persevere if you’re stressed out, exhausted, or sick.

10. Find joy in every day. It may be a while until you feel gratification from the goal, so make sure to enjoy something daily.

And then there’s my secret weapon when all else fails. It’s a quote that I fall back on when I want to quit:

When you’re going through hell, just keep going!-Winston Churchill

For more on perseverance and how to reach your goals, be sure to listen to this week’s podcast The Domino Effect, How to Make Massive Changes in Your Life And Start Living Your Dreams with Pastor Ron Sharpe.booksbusinessabundance.com/podcast/domino-effect

Ellen Violette helps busy creative visionaries, leaders and change-makers, write, publish, launch to #1 bestseller, and market their book to get more clients, make more money, make a bigger impact, and leave a legacy.

She is an award-winning book and business coach, podcast host, CEO of Create a Splash Marketing & Grammy-nominated songwriter.