In this episode, Dr. Barrett Matthews shares how media has changed and how anyone can now become a media boss. He shares how to find out where your audience consumes content, and how they consume it. And he gives specifics on exactly what to do to expand your reach; some of which will surprise you! Here are two great opportunities from the Media Boss that you won’t want to miss.
Check out his hands-on course, Make Money From Media Challenge, and complimentary 5 Ways to Stop Paying Clients offerings.
Website: Make Money From Media Challenge
For your FREE Bestseller Assessment
go to https://bookwithellen.com to schedule
(Choose Bestseller Breakthrough Consultation)
Did you know you can be all over the world, everywhere at once? Well, if you follow the prescription from Dr. Barrett Matthews, Ellen Violette’s guest on this episode of the Books Open Doors® Podcast,, your message will go far. A high-energy media expert, he is sharing fabulous tips and tricks that will “drive your competitors crazy!” Affectionately known as the “Media Boss,” this entrepreneur (as well as doctor, ambassador and adviser to a king!) has developed a toolset you’re going to want to acquire, including strategies for engaging your clients and prospects across the full spectrum of media channels-even to the point of being “annoyingly everywhere,” if that’s what it takes to reach your target audience and close deals. Discover practical resources and tools that will help you take your product or service where it needs to go – boldly and without hesitation. “Doubt your doubts and just get things moving,” says Barrett. “Stop procrastinating!”
“We have the ability to control our media. We don’t have to wait for someone to call us up … You can just do it on your own and not depend on people. That’s what I consider to be a ‘Media Boss.’ ”
“When it comes to media, we have been taught and conditioned to think you do this one thing and if you do it well, you keep doing it. And that’s good … but everyone consumes their information through one form of media or another. And they’re all different.”
“It takes 28 to 30 books to make six figures as an author, but you can ramp that up a lot faster if you use content that you already have. And every book doesn’t have to be written like a traditional book.” (Ellen)
“Make sure you’re meeting (your clients) where they are.”
“Just because you need to get something done doesn’t mean you need to do it! … You should know how these platforms work, but that doesn’t mean you have to be the one to put it together.”
“Really focus on getting more clients, on going to networking meetings and knowing your elevator speech. And of course, one of the best ways to get clients is through referrals, but that takes time to build up … .” (Ellen)
“There’s always a kernel of something we can learn and re-learn if we just pay attention, but we get caught in our own way of doing things.” (Ellen)
“Doubt your doubts and just get things moving. Stop procrastinating!”
- Once upon a time, access to airtime or visibility through publishing was tough to come by, but today anyone with an iPhone can self-publish and promote anything – from writing an ebook to starting your own streaming channel or podcast network?
- What we can do – versus what we shouldn’t! The Media Boss’s best advice:
- Start out with a podcast as a vehicle to reach people and get your content out into the world.
- Repurpose your content by using a camera to turn your podcast into a YouTube video or try generating a vlog post.
- Commission a documentary on your business to show what you’re up to then convert it for use as reels, a LinkedIn post or on other platforms.
- You need to be where your audience is – and that’s going to be across platforms and different kinds of media. Be everywhere!
- Make yourself relevant. Position yourself where your customers can find you!
- Here’s a simple but powerful strategy: Ask your clients and prospects to be a focus group and find out where they consume information and which media platforms would be most effective for your message or content.
- If you’re only marketing through channels you’re comfortable with, you’re entirely missing opportunities and avenues to reach untapped audience segments.
- How the “Media Boss” became a doctor, an ambassador and royal adviser to a king. (Hint: Writing a book raised his visibility!)
- Some of Barrett’s and Ellen’s favorite tools:
- Transcription: Temi, Zoom and Rev
- Leverage YouTube for tutorials on … all media and marketing matters!
- Outsource to freelance platforms like Fiverr.
- Network and work on securing clients through referrals.
- An outsource resource based in the Phillippines: OnlineJobs.
- Think you hate sales? You’re lying to yourself, says Barrett. Everybody loves sales … when they’re closing deals. What we hate is rejection. Be sure to stay clear about the messages you’re transmitting to yourself! And remember that sales can be taught.
Ellen is a multiple #1 bestselling author, 3X award-winning book and business coach, including being named one of the Top 20 Book Coaches of 2022 by Coach Foundation, host of The Books Open Doors® Podcast, CEO of Create a Splash/Books Open Doors® Author Services and Grammy-nominated songwriter.
Follow Ellen and Books Open Doors®:
WEBSITE | BLOG | LINKEDIN | PODCAST | FACEBOOK | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
To share your thoughts and comments – and if you got value from the show – please, leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help and I read each one.
Subscribe on iTunes.
You can also support the show by sharing it on social media!
For additional support, tips, networking, promoting and more join us in our Facebook Group too!