In the Books Open Doors Facebook group, ( I ask new members what their number one challenge is. One of my recent new members said it was “Creating the space in my life to write consistently and FINISH my book.” In this article, I answer her question.

If you want to write consistently, you have to establish the habit of writing consistently. But before you can write consistently you have to have the motivation to do it. So, the first thing I would ask myself, is “WHY do I want to finish my book?” “ What will it do for me?” And then, “How do I feel about that?”

You might feel trepidation for some reason and that’s why you aren’t writing consistently. I have had clients who were afraid their book wasn’t good enough and it would get bad reviews. I’ve also had clients who are afraid of how their lives would change if their book was successful. And some are afraid of both! I also have a mentor who wrote 90% of his book and then it took him almost a decade to finish the other 10% because he didn’t “see himself as an author”.So, you have to know how you feel about it.

Once you know that, you have to have the courage to move forward anyway. It’s not about not having fear, we all have fear of the unknown and you’re doing something you’ve never done before so that makes sense. But you have to want it badly enough to be willing to do it anyway and move through the fear. It has to be a priority

And then, you have to set the intention.

Maybe your intention is that you are going to write 3 days a week, or 3 hours a week, it doesn’t matter what the length is, it’s the intention to do it consistently.  And then if you miss one, to get right back on schedule and keep moving forward. The “never miss twice” so if you miss once, that’s okay, but never miss twice. This can work for some, for others, it just creates more guilt. So, try it out and see if it works for you.

Then, once you set the intention you have to schedule it.

Because what doesn’t get scheduled doesn’t get done. And to get it on your schedule may mean that you have to take something else off your schedule. You have to learn to say no to the things you don’t want so you can say yes to the things you do want. So, again it goes back to how badly do you want it.

Then, make it public. Sometimes, we are more willing to flake on ourselves than on other people. We don’t like to let others down, so making it public can help you keep your commitment to yourself. So, the question is are you willing to do what it takes? That’s really the bottom line.

To get my FREE Rapid Book Creation Checklist go to 

Ellen Violette helps busy thought leaders, creatives, heart-centered entrepreneurs, coaches and speakers, write a book in 7 days with 3 days of writing time, make it a #1 bestseller and use it to reach a bigger audience, make a bigger impact, make more money and leave a lasting legacy.

She is a multiple #1 bestselling author herself, an award-winning book and business coach, co-author of Sell More eBooks with Internet Marketing Guru, Jim Edwards, host of the Books Business Abundance Podcast, CEO of Create a Splash Marketing & Grammy-nominated songwriter.